Building relationships with students and parents is integral in achieving student achievement and success! Sending a good news postcard home to parents sharing how their child made a connection with language, can go a long way! Through this small gesture, you have already opened the doors to communication in a positive light! How do you plan on using this to engage students and parents? Simply print and send! Download the template below!
With a lot of school districts starting next week and some already in session, we thought this would be a great activity to bring both teachers and students back to summer as well as make connections with culture! This activity is based off the the article by Huffington Post "The top 50 cities to see in your lifetime"!
Here are some ideas of what to do with this article!
1. Allow students to guess what they think would be the top 50 cities to see in the world. Give them a world map such as the one attached from Maps International. Allow them to mark up the areas of the world in which they believe to at the top of the list. Students may work in groups or individually!
2. Either handout the article on the Top 50 Places to Visit, or put images and captions onto a PPT. Go through the list and have students compare how many they have correct. Ask groups or students how many they got correct off of their list compared to the article!
3. Create your own top travel list/travel book as a class using places your students have visited. To do this, poll students by having them enter their top 5 travel destinations onto a wordle! As you repeat destinations, that word will become the largest and give you an indicator of what are the top travel destinations of your class. See example below!
4. Great activity to get to know your students either the first few weeks back or within a travel unit!
ACTFL CAN DO CONNECTIONS:
Use the TL to meet these connections!
1. I can identify destinations and major attractions on a
travel brochure (NOVICE-HIGH)
2. I can understand basic information on travel brochures (INTERMEDIATE-MID)
3. I can exchange general information about leisure and
travel, such as the world’s most visited sites or most
beautiful places to visit. (ADVANCED-MID)
What ideas would you add to this? reply and let us know!
Looking for creative ways to decorate your bulletin board? Take a look at this collection of ideas and activities I have put together for the first couple of days of school! What do you do or are planning on doing?
Activities for week 1
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.